Hello, I have a new blog!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://www.thehollywoodsew.com

tabs

 photo home-rec_zpsd28e3fb5.png     photo about-rec_zpsfb3dcef4.png     photo maternity-rec_zps5b4884ae.png     photo baby-rec_zps951ce2ef.png

Friday, April 19, 2013

REVEAL: NEON CHIFFON SORBETTO






I did it! Just in time for the Spring Top Sewalong deadline today haha. I like to live on the edge.
I love the sorbetto top, even with the very shifty fabric it was easy and fast to sew up. The longest part was choosing a size (this always stresses me out because if I can't wear it then what is the point!) I first traced out a 6 pattern but then after reading more reviews decided on a 4 which fits great, but is a little short. This is mostly because the fabric frayed so badly I had to roll the hem over twice to get a clean finish. Working with chiffon (low quality Joann's chiffon no less) was quite the pain in my behind, the fabric slid around inches while I tried to cut and must have fallen off my tiny sewing table a hundred times. Surprisingly despite this mishap the top is still symmetrical and looks like it should. Since cutting this I read that placing the shifty fabric between tissue paper while cutting resolves this problem, so next time.... 

I really love bias binding, I used the cheating method of placing it on the edge right side up and just topstitching which is how I first sewed binding without knowing about the proper technique. I find this easier and the result pleasing so why further aggravate myself! The sheer orange neon with a pastel accent is a colour combo I really like and this was one of those projects where you picture something you like and it comes out exactly how you wanted. Hope this happens again soon! Now I just have to finish and photograph the Joan dress for Monday, and the black and white project before we fly to the UK on the 30th. oh and pack up our lives too. Yikes!

5 comments:

  1. It looks gorgeous and I love the color combo! Great job - it fits you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came here from burdastyle. Lovely cool top! I had the pattern traced last year and have no idea where it went.... Should make it for this summer, i need quickie ones, since my big sister took the trouble to come all the way from Brazil to threaten to throw away my current maternity wardrobe with the justification that my baby turned 2 already.... Whats wrong with that?!?!?!?
    Elisana
    Www.costuraquasereta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisana, and you should make it as the pattern is so simple but still looks trendy. I'm hanging on to my maternity dresses too!

      Delete
  3. I came here from burdastyle. Lovely cool top! I had the pattern traced last year and have no idea where it went.... Should make it for this summer, i need quickie ones, since my big sister took the trouble to come all the way from Brazil to threaten to throw away my current maternity wardrobe with the justification that my baby turned 2 already.... Whats wrong with that?!?!?!?
    Elisana
    Www.costuraquasereta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colour and the bias tape - great combination!

    ReplyDelete